The Ryde Planning and Business Centre provided a warm and friendly haven for members and guests on a very chilly first day of winter. Members of Ryde Macquarie Park Chamber of Commerce joined us for networking and to learn more about Council’s Draft Four Year Delivery Plan 2015-2019, which is on public exhibition until tomorrow, 3 June.
The City of Ryde’s General Manager, Gail Connolly, gave an overview of the Plan, a key element of which is the ongoing partnerships between Council and the business community – partnerships in which RBF and the local Chambers of Commerce play key roles.
The three main elements of the partnerships are:
- Advocacy: Fit for the Future, Light Rail, Special Rate Variation projects, State and Federal Government Business Reform (red tape reduction)
- Communication: Ongoing communication through established channels such as RBF and local Chambers, Economic Development Advisory Committee
- Business Support: Small Business Program, Economic Development Manager, Neighbourhood Projects Officer, Implementation of the Economic Development Strategy and various other programs
You can see the full Draft Four Year Delivery Plan here and have your say.
Gail also spoke about
- Service delivery to the Ryde Community
- 2015/16 Budget Update, the key highlights of which are
- $2.5M of efficiency gains achieved annually
- $5.9M increase in project expenditure
- $3.9M increase in asset renewal
- $1.0M reduction in debt balance
- $5.6M increase in revenue
- and the Economic Development Strategy, which has six key goals:
- Goal 1 – Macquarie Park continues to attract new business and a talented workforce
- Goal 2 – Town and Neighbourhood centres are vibrant and attractive for residents, employees and visitors
- Goal 3 – Small businesses thrive in an environment of relevant information, training and networking opportunities
- Goal 4 – Job seekers find work locally via employment services, vocational training and work experience opportunities
- Goal 5 – People can move freely around City of Ryde using modes of transport that are sustainable
- Goal 6 – Market investment opportunities permit a variety of activities in the City
See Gail’s presentation in full here on Council’s website.
Dominic Johnson presented on planning and development in five key areas:
- Macquarie Park Business Corridor
- Gladesville Town Centre and Victoria Road corridor
- Improving connections to Macquarie Park – Light Rail Symposium
- Top Ryde
- Meadowbank Employment Area
See his presentation here: Council-presentation-June-2015-Business-After-Hours
- Lydia Scuglia, President Ryde Business Forum, who mentioned upcoming Level 1 and Level 2 member events
- Stefan Sojka, President Ryde Macquarie Park Chamber of Commerce, who spoke about the upcoming HR Forum and Corporate Social Responsibility Breakfast to be held on 9 September
- Superintendent John Duncan of Gladesville/Ryde Police, who warned members and guests to be on the lookout for email fraud
- Robert Mitchell, Rotary e-Club of Ryde, who introduced the new Ryde Ethics in Business Award, which will be awarded at the HR Forum and Corporate Social Responsibility Breakfast to be held on 9 September. We will be giving you more information about that as it comes to hand
- Richard Bradshaw and Lyn Mann of The Salvation Army Employment Plus, who said their farewells as after many years with TSAEP they are leaving at the end of June. Both have been regular attendees at our events and strong supporters of the Forum and we wish them all the best
We’d like to acknowledge our Level 1 and Level 2 members who attended:
- Stefan Sojka, Ryde Macquarie Park Chamber
- Yvonne Dornan, Gladesville Chamber
Level 1 members:
- Achieve Australia
Level 2 members:
- Hyecorp Property Group
- Chill IT
- North Ryde RSL Club
- The Salvation Army Employment Plus
- Laboratories Credit Union
Our lucky draw winners were Scott Henshaw of Forsyth Recruitment, Raymond Chapman of Connect Macquarie Park and Ulrike Eichmeyer of The Weekly Times. Scott was very pleased to win the Worm Farm – until he realised it didn’t include acreage!
See pics from the night here on our Facebook album.