Ryde’s own version of The Voice, Santa Claus and plenty of tinsel – it could only be the Combined Chambers Christmas Party! Members of RBF and local Chambers Armenian, Eastwood, Epping, Gladesville, Ryde Macquarie Park and West Ryde brought their partners to North Ryde RSL on Friday 12 December for the last big Chamber event of 2014.
Our theme this year was Community, and everyone was encouraged to bring a cash or food donation. Helen Crouch of North Ryde Community Aid was delighted with the generosity of local Chamber members.
Lydia Scuglia, RBF President, welcomed everyone and Victor Dominello MP, Member for Ryde, was the guest speaker before dinner.
Guests at the event were wondering what the ‘mystery entertainment’ on the invitation would be. They found out after a delicious buffet dinner when Darren McMullett (Stephen Sim to you) introduced the Voiceless competition, with celebrity judges. Redfoo (Stefan Sojka), Delta Goodrem (Roseanna Gallo), Ricky Martin (Patrick Colahan) and Annie Lennox (Sabrina Ferguson) had the hard task of judging:
- Dino Martino (Robert Churi) suavely performing That’s Amore
- The Soul Sisters (Helen Crouch, Lorraine Cox, Lisa Fish and Winston Readford directed by Rita Lepedjian) performing I Will Follow Him from Sister Act. The sight of Winston in a wimple will stay with guests for a long time
- Roy Oberon (David Rafferty) who charmed everyone by handing out roses while performing Pretty Woman
- The Weekly Whiners (John Booth and Reg Cain) who misbehaved, threw beer and insulted the judges to the tune of I Like To Have A Beer With Duncan.
- Where’s Whalley (Wendy Jane Whalley), the only contestant to actually sing and not mime, who sang To Sir With Love
- Santa Claus (Len Gallo) who bopped along to Jingle Bell Rock
Thanks to our contestants for being such good sports, especially when the judges threw one-liners at them, and thanks to our judges who ‘winged it’ on the night without any rehearsals.
Big thanks to Roseanna for organising Voiceless, and to Roseanna and Stefan for performing Christmas carols after the competition.
Thanks also to Marcella Letteri and her committee for organising such a wonderful night, and to Patrick Colahan for juggling being MC with being Ricky Martin.