The Event Cinemas Gold Pass function room at Macquarie Centre was buzzing with around 100 members and guests at our April Business After Hours. Robert Caruana, Centre Manager, was on hand to tell people more about the redevelopment of the Centre, which will make Macquarie Centre one of Australia’s ten largest shopping malls when the redevelopment is complete. Stage 1 is due to be completed by the end of 2014. For more information about the redevelopment, including an exciting fly-through of what it will look like, visit the Centre’s website.
RBF thanks Macquarie Centre for hosting this event and providing two very generous lucky draw prizes – bottles of Moet et Chandon – which were won by Jason Kitchingman of North Ryde Golf Club and Arthur Rimagmos of Artisan Promotional Products.
RBF President Lydia Scuglia acknowledged the following people last night:
- The Hon Victor Dominello MP, Member for Ryde
- John Alexander MP, Member for Bennelong
- Morell Boyce, RBF Committee
VIPs in attendance:
- Eddie Reginato – NSWBC
- Clr Craig Chung – City of Ryde
- Roy Newsome – City of Ryde
- Superintendent John Duncan – Ryde Local Area Command
- Bev Barnfather – Parramatta Chamber of Commerce
RBF Committee Members: Andrew Hill, Milly Colahan, George Papallo, Kaylar Michaelian, David Tompkins, Andrew Bland
- David Tompkins, West Ryde
- Tony Abboud, Ryde Macquarie Park
- Rita Lepedjian, Armenian Chamber
Level 1 members:
- Jim Towers – Royal Rehabilitation Centre Sydney
- Mark Hastings – The Northern Sydney Institute
- Colin Stibbs – CPSA
- Elizabeth Webb – Meadowbank TAFE
- Alex Escobar – Achieve Australia
- Vicki George – Macquarie University
- Paul Stevens – North Ryde RSL Club
- Emma Stone – Courtyard by Marriott North Ryde
Level 2 members:
- John Booth – TWT
- Mandy Glendenning – Atel AUSNAC
- Richard Bradshaw – The Salvation Army Employment Plus
- David Tompkins – Ryde Toyota
- Tony Abboud – Snowdenparkes Real Estate
- John Debrincat – eCorner
- Amanda Vass – The Northern District Times
- Ian Miller – Hunt & Hunt
- Arthur Rojas – Travelodge Macquarie North Ryde
- Steve Cremona – 2realise
- John Golding – Watermark
- Victor Berger – Milne Berry Berger
- Jason Kitchingham – North Ryde Golf Club
- Luke Magee – Chill IT
- Kaylar Michaelean – Hyecorp
Ryde City Local Business Awards
Lydia announced that Ryde would once again have its own Local Business Awards, with the driving force behind them being Steve Loe of Precedent Productions. The official newspaper for the Awards will be the Northern District Times.
12 May – nomination coupons distributed
4 June – nominations close
23 June – Judging commences
23 July – Presentation evening
For RBF members, winning one of the categories in the Ryde Local Business Awards will automatically qualify them for the NSW Business Chamber State Business Awards. More information on the Awards will be issued very shortly.
Lydia Scuglia and Sabrina Ferguson also read out announcements from our Level 1 and Level 2 members, and community information:
- Macquarie Uni’s next Careers Fair will be on 8 August. All employers are welcome to exhibit to promote their business and work opportunities. There will be special exhibitor rates available for RBF members, or some of you might like to join together on a RBF stand. See Vicki and the Macquarie Uni team here tonight about that. There is also the online job board, Macquarie Career Hub, where employers can advertise job vacancies, internships and casual work opportunities free of charge.
- The NSW Business Chamber has launched its ‘5 for 15’ state election campaign in readiness for next year’s election. This campaign highlights five challenges which will need to be met by whichever political party forms government following the election. Talk to Eddie Reginato.
- North Ryde Golf Club is holding a fundraiser on Saturday April the 12th – 007 for a night. Bring out your inner James Bond, dress in black and white, play the tables and bid for some superb auction prizes as the Club is turned into a casino for the evening.
- Jim Towers of Royal Rehab advises that there are community facilities for hire at the centre – a great new community hall for social functions, and tennis and basketball courts which are available Monday to Friday.
- The Ryde Games starts on Monday 14th April and goes for two weeks through the school holidays. Players can have a go at Tennis, Table Tennis, Speedminton, Handball plus team sports of Dodge Ball, Dart Tag, Floorball and European Handball. There is something for everyone including schools, Corporates, Special Needs and Keenagers for our over 50 players who wish to get active. The concept is a joint effort with support from Ryde Sports Foundation, Ryde Business Forum and Ryde Council to get the community active whilst having a go at numerous sports. Talk to Andrew Hill.
- The Ryde Rivers Festival will be held 14 September 2014 – Victor Berger (Milne, Berry & Berger) from Gladesville Rotary is seeking sponsors.
- The Rotary Club of North Ryde is holding a trivia night on Saturday 3 May – again Victor Berger is your contact
- West Ryde Easter Fair is on this Saturday from 9am with local businesses holding stalls, and the famous Easter parade through West Ryde.
Business of the Month
Our Business of the Month for April is Ryde College of TAFE. Your contact is Mark Hastings on 9448 6126. Ryde College of TAFE is Sydney’s leading trainer in the hospitality industry, and you can enjoy the superb catering by the students in the Ambassador fine dining room or Terrace room at the College at 250 Blaxland Road, Ryde. These rooms are also available for function hire. See here for more information.
Photos from the evening are below. High resolution, colour corrected versions are available on request from Sabrina Ferguson.[nggallery ID=28]